A hospitalist is a physician who specializes in caring for the types of complex problems that often bring patients into the hospital, including heart and lung diseases, many cancers, infections and other medical problems. IHA Hospital Medicine Services is staffed with experienced internists and family medicine physicians who specialize in hospital medicine. Partnering with primary care physicians, IHA hospitalists care for patients during their hospital stay. After their discharge from the hospital, patients will return to the care of their primary-care physician.
What patients and families can expect:
- Efficient and effective care
- Our physicians value communication with the primary care doctor, as well as with patients and their families, nursing staff and consulting physicians.
- Our physicians are available 24 hours-per-day to respond to the results of studies, consultant evaluations and emergency situations, and may see the patient multiple times per day, if indicated by the patient’s clinical situation.
- The hospitalist coordinates and/or provides complete patient education regarding the plan of care during the hospital stay and upon transition from the hospital.
- Every attempt is made to develop a treatment and discharge plan that will meet the needs of the patient and family. This plan will be coordinated with the patient's primary-care physician.
The IHA Hospital Medicine program is available at:
- St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
- St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea
- St. Joseph Mercy Livingston