What is Cardiology?
Cardiology is the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the heart and blood vessels. It is a medical specialty which is involved in the care of all conditions associated with the heart and vascular disease, as well as their prevention through lifestyle changes and medications.
There are several sub-specialties within cardiology:
Noninvasive cardiology focuses on the imaging of the heart at rest or during exercise in order to detect and diagnose heart and vascular conditions. Noninvasive tests include EKGs, echogardiograms, nuclear cardiology, stress tests, MRI of the heart or CT scans of the heart and vascular systems.
Invasive/Interventional cardiology focuses on diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery and heart valve disease using catheters – or tubes – that are inserted into the patient’s body. These procedures include cardiac catherizations, percutaneous coronary intervention with stent placement, as well as minimally invasive valve replacements.
Electrophysiology focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm conditions using the insertion of pacemakers, defibrillators, and ablation treatments.
OUR COMPREHENSIVE ARRAY OF SERVICES INCLUDE:br>Consultations:
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Arrhythmia Clinic
- General cardiology consultation
- Heart failure clinic
- Preventive care and lipid clinic
- Valvular heart disease clinic
- Vascular medicine
- Aortic valvuloplasty
- Electrophysiology studies – ablation including supraventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, ventricular tachycardia
- Fractional flow reserve assessment
- Intracardiac shunt closure devices
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Left atrial appendage, LARIAT™ and other closure devices
- Mitral valvuplasty
- Pacemaker including MRI compatible and leadless
- Paravalvular leak closure
- Rotational Atherectomy
- Septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy
- Stent placement
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve (TAVR)
- Vascular diagnostic and interventional venous intervention
- Ventricular aneurysm exclusion
- Cadriac CT with 3D imaging
- Echocardiography with 3D imaging
- Echocardiographic stress testing
- Electrophysiological testing
- Event and Holter monitoring
- Nuclear cardiology
- Standard stress test
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Vascular noninvasive studies