What is infectious diseases?
Infectious diseases is a medical specialty dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases, which may be hospital-acquired or community-acquired infections.
A patient may be referred to an infectious disease specialist when:
- An infection is difficult to diagnose
- An infection is accompanied by a high fever
- A patient does not respond to treatment
- A healthy person plans to travel to a foreign country or a location where infection risk is higher
- Treating illnesses becomes a part of a patient's overall care; for example when a patient with HIV/AIDS