What is maternal-fetal medicine?
Maternal-fetal medicine is a branch of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing care of expectant mothers and their developing babies, who may be at high risk for special health problems. Women are generally referred to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist by their obstetrician or by an infertility specialist because he or she sees a potential for a pregnancy-related health concern or because a problem develops during the course of the pregnancy.
OUR COMPREHENSIVE ARRAY OF SERVICES INCLUDES:
- Advanced maternal age
- Multiple gestations
- Cardiovascular and hypertensive disorders
- Pre-existing or gestational diabetes
- Other maternal medical complications (e.g. lupus, thyroid conditions)
- Pre-pregnancy counseling
- Fetal chromosomal screening and diagnostic testing
- Detection and counseling regarding fetal concerns
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Pregnancy complications (e.g. preterm birth, small fetal size)